DIRECTV: What Happened to ACC Network?

Q. I read your column on how the Charter subscribers couldn’t get the ACC Network. But I’m having the same problem with DIRECTV. I thought DIRECTV was supposed to carry it, but I can’t find it anywhere in my lineup. What’s up with that? — Franklin, Portland.

Franklin, you’re right. Many Charter subscribers are upset that they can’t watch the ACC Network since its launch on Thursday night. (To find out why they can’t watch, click here.)

Click Amazon: See Today’s 1-Day-Only Deals!

But there are a significant number of angry DIRECTV subscribers as well. AT&T, the owner of DIRECTV, and ESPN, the owner of ACC Network, both said prior to the launch that the channel would be available on the satellite TV service. But many DIRECTV customers can’t find it in their on-screen guides.

Click Amazon: See Today’s 1-Day-Only Deals!

What’s the deal?

If you’re a DIRECTV subscriber who doesn’t live in what is considered an ‘ACC market,’ you can not get the ACC Network unless you subscribe to the satcaster’s ‘Sports Pack,’ which costs an additional $13.99 a month. The Sports Pack includes roughly 35 channels, including ESPN Classic, TVG, CBS Sports Network and the Outdoor Channel.

What is considered an ‘ACC market?’

Basically, it’s any state that’s home to an ACC college, or is near one: North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.

So if you’re a DIRECTV subscriber who lives in one of those markets, the ACC Network is available to you on channel 612 — if you have DIRECTV’s Choice plan and above. That means Select plan subscribers can’t get it.

Final note: Some Choice subscribers in ACC markets have told me that channel 612 has displayed a message saying the ACC Network must be purchased separately. However, after calling DIRECTV’s customer service, the satcaster added the channel without an additional fee. So if you see that message, call DIRECTV.

Franklin, hope that helps. Happy viewing!

Have a question about new TV technologies? Send it to The TV Answer Man at swann@tvpredictions.com. Please include your first name and hometown in your message.

16 Comments on DIRECTV: What Happened to ACC Network?

1. Heidi Diekmann // August 25, 2019 at 10:55 am // Reply

Ive had Direct TV for 19 years, and I must say since the partnered up with at&t they are complete garbage. My bill went up,,.never get to speak with anyone I can understand. I’m extremely disappointed cause now I have to leave and go to dish where I will not have HBO. Sadly they sold out.

2. Gladys Morgan // August 25, 2019 at 11:15 am // Reply

Are AT&T/Directv ever going to get back NBC 8.
    I miss this local channel

• Lee Bertolette // August 26, 2019 at 7:46 am // Reply

I agree completely

• I total agree I had Direct TV for 19 years also…..and they stink since AT&T took over dropping channels they took away NBC 2 for money just got it back now their trying to take away channel ABC 7 thinking of going with another company can’t put up with all the antics!!!

3. Silver DeNigris // August 25, 2019 at 12:50 pm // Reply

I am very upset! I have a 3year contract and over t station bit the dust. I can’t get them now especially Fox.
    Am I still bound by this contract?
    I am paying for less and less!!!!]

4. Heywood Jublome // August 25, 2019 at 1:08 pm // Reply

Apparently ESPN and DTV (and maybe all providers) have still not yet worked out the online viewing access through the ESPN app on mobile or desktop, even for viewers like me in the heart of ACC country.

A pop up following log in states “The ACCN and ACCNX is currently unavailable within the ESPN app. We are working diligently with your TV provider to enable access. Please check back and in the meantime you can enjoy ACCN on your TV.”

5. When will the Tampa Bay area get NBC channel 8 back. It has been down since July 3. Direct TV and Nexstar arguing. Direct TV gives an antenna for local use but it does not work.

6. Carol Hicks // August 25, 2019 at 2:35 pm // Reply

I live in NC and have DirecTV we have the ACC channel

7. Elliott Habermann // August 25, 2019 at 2:49 pm // Reply

I got rid of direct tv because my dish had a issue also when it rains it goes out I have optimum much better service and saving 50 bucks a month direct tv now is pure garbage

8. Paula Smith // August 25, 2019 at 5:01 pm // Reply

What happen to the ACC channel on AT&T TV Now?

9. Ronald Schmetzer // August 25, 2019 at 10:34 pm // Reply

Thank you! I was one of those people who could not even see channel 612 until I called. I live in ACC territory and was also told I needed to subscribe to the extra cost package. Now I can cancel once my free three month trial expires.

10. Jocelyn Anderson // August 26, 2019 at 9:28 am // Reply

I’m from the Rochester NY area I can’t get 8 and 13 anymore is DirecTV going to get that back on or do we have to go to another cable network.. mid-september all the fall shows come back on that we watch on those two channels..

11. I agree with with all of you….Direct TV stinks now since AT&T took over…I can’t get ACC channel either and I went to 621 and all it has is bla bla Bla I’m thinking of changing companies…..