DIRECTV, U-verse Raising Prices In January 2019

Tilted view of satellite dish on white multi-story house --- Image by © Royalty-Free/Corbis

DIRECTV next month will raise prices on most programming packages for existing customers by $1 a month to $8 a month as well as hike the Regional Sports Channel fee in select markets, AT&T, which owns DIRECTV, has revealed in a notice posted at its web site.

U-verse, also owned by AT&T, will raise most programming plans by $3 a month to $7 a month, and raise its ‘Broadcast Surcharge Fee’ by $2 a month.

DIRECTV has hiked prices on programming packages in January for several years in a row, blaming the rising cost of program acquisition. This year, AT&T again attributes the need to raise prices for U-verse and DIRECTV on increased carriage fees.

Click Amazon: Shop Now For the Holidays!!

“Because our programming costs went up, we have to raise our monthly prices for select packages starting January 20, 2019. You’ll see the new pricing on your bill,” the notice states.

Comcast and Charter have also announced price hikes for 2019.

DIRECTV’s 2017 price increase ranged from $2 a month to $6 a month while the the 2018 hike was $2 a month to $8 a month.

The DIRECTV rate increases coming in January 2019 will include the following plans:

* BASIC CHOICE — $1 a month increase
* SELECT — $3 a month increase
* MAS LATINO — $4 a month
* ENTERTAINMENT — $3 a month increase
* CHOICE — $5 a month
* TOTAL CHOICE — $5 a month
* CHOICE EXTRA CLASSIC — $6 a month increase
* TOTAL CHOICE LIMITED — $5 a month increase
* PREFERRED XTRA, EXTRA, ULTIMATE — $7 a month increase
* ULTIMATE PREMIER — $8 a month increase

DIRECTV says it will not increase the price of the Family plan

However, the satellite TV service says it will also raise the regional sports channel fee from $1 a month to $1.90 a month in most markets.

Click Amazon: Shop Now For the Holidays!!

U-verse is raising the price of the following plans starting January 20, 2019:

* U-FAMILY, U-100 — $3 a month
* U-200, U-300 — $5 a month
* U-400, U-450 — $7 a month

AT&T will not raise the price of the U-basic plan.

The AT&T notice says if you are on a current DIRECTV promotion, your discount will continue until it ends or expires. Once your promotional period ends, you will be charged at our new programming package prices.

Click Amazon: Shop Now For the Holidays!!

15 Comments on DIRECTV, U-verse Raising Prices In January 2019

1. So what are the price increases for Charter?

2. Donald Tonkin // December 17, 2018 at 2:09 pm // Reply

Going to leave directv tv and going to roko

3. Steven Coleman // December 17, 2018 at 3:06 pm // Reply

Imma leave they ass !! I’m paying 256 a month already!!

4. if you leave directv remember you paid a month in advance on the first bill. so if you leave at the end of the billing cycle you should not have to pay the last bill. call and fight.

5. Thom Koshinsky // December 17, 2018 at 4:38 pm // Reply

since they don’t offer pac 12, those in that market should get half ptice on the sports regional pkg

6. Virgil Parker // December 17, 2018 at 7:30 pm // Reply

It looks like I will have to stop watching TV. I am on a fix income and can not afford the increase. I barely can make my payments now!!!

7. Noelle Levesque // December 17, 2018 at 9:37 pm // Reply

This is total bullsh$t!!!!!!!!!!
    PRICES FOR TV SERVICE NEED TO GO DOWN!

8. Vicious cycle. The more you raise rates, the more people cut cord.

9. You guys offer crap for programs and yet you change outrageous prices. No wonder your losing customers

10. Good bye. Your out of my price range

11. This latest news about Directv attacking my wallet once again resulted in my “Cutting of the Cord” effective 1/2/2019 when my current prepayment runs out. Between my wife and myself we basically watch 3 channels from the 155 we pay for. We have has an OTA antenna for 6 years so we do not need Directv for local channels. We get 63 channels from the antenna. We are sick of being forced to buy a cow every month just to enjoy an occasional hamburger. So it is “Adios” to DirecTV!

I purchased and installed an Amazon Fire TV Recast (4 tuner model) that is driving 5 TVs with 1TB of DVR recording space. That coupled with Amazon Prime (which we have had for years) is all we need. Monthly cost? $0. Monthly fees? $0. Monthly taxes and surcharges? $0. ATT/Directv savings will pay for it all in less than 6 months.

12. Scott Schier // December 21, 2018 at 7:12 pm // Reply

Enough is enough. As of January it all be bye bye DIRECTV. I have firesticks on all of the tvs in the house now so I can watch pretty much whatever I want now. And simply is talking an OTA for my locals is a minimal investment. Just ridiculous.