Dish Loses 4 Local Stations In Fee Fight

The companies are battling over carriage rights.

Dish today lost four local stations in four markets due to a fee fight with their owner, the Lockwood Broadcast Group.

The stations are: KAKE-TV, the ABC affiliate in Wichita, Kansas; WHDF-TV, the CW affiliate in Florence, Alabama; WCWG-TV, the CW station in Lexington, North Carolina; and KTEN-TV, the NBC affiliate in Ada, Oklahoma (the station also offers feeds of ABC and the CW in the Ada area).

Click Amazon: See Today’s 1-Day-Only Deals!

The Lockwood-owned stations posted a notice at their web sites alerting Dish viewers of the blackout. The companies are battling over how much Dish should pay to carry Lockwood’s stations.

Shop Now at Amazon! See the New 2018 Deals!

“DISH Network and Lockwood Broadcasting, Inc..have reached an impasse in negotiating a renewal of the agreement providing for carriage of (the stations)…on DISH Network’s satellite system,” the notice states. “As a result, (the stations are) no longer being carried by DISH. Our company is a small, family-owned broadcaster, one of the few still left in America.  DISH Network is a multi-billion dollar company that reported revenue of $3.6 billion in just the third quarter of 2017 We think you can see where this is going.”

Click Amazon: See Today’s Top-Selling Super Bowl TVs!

Lockwood also claimed it offered Dish an opportunity to keep the channels on the air while negotiations continued, but that the satcaster rejected the proposal.

At its web site, DishPromise.com, which offers updates on channel disputes, the satcaster issued the following statement:

“We are currently experiencing a dispute with Lockwood Broadcasting and your programming is impacted by these negotiations. Lockwood Broadcasting is demanding an unreasonable rate increase, which is more than two times what we currently pay for their channels. DISH offered to match the rates paid by all other pay-TV providers; Lockwood Broadcasting refused this offer. The fact is, only Lockwood Broadcasting can choose to remove their content from DISH customers. DISH offered to extend the contract so viewers would not be impacted but Lockwood Broadcasting refused.”

23 Comments on Dish Loses 4 Local Stations In Fee Fight

1. I have reported that DISH is not showing Shop LC on channel 274. I noticed it not appearing yesterday on 4/18/18. I absolutely adore this channel. It is so much more than just jewelry. I am extremely disappointed that it has been removed. It must be brought back to DISH. Please work it out asap. Thank you.

2. Lawrence lane // April 28, 2018 at 12:31 pm // Reply

You just as well turn my dish off,if there is no fox channel

3. Rachel Stahl // June 1, 2018 at 8:17 am // Reply

I signed up for channels that you are not showing. That was in my contract. Tor broke my contract. I want the stations back.

4. David Leitz // June 1, 2018 at 10:11 am // Reply

If my Fox station is not available shortly I”am going to disconnect and go with an antenna. I’m sure my bill won”t reflect the loss of the fox station with a lower monthly bill.

5. Recike Johnson // June 3, 2018 at 2:22 pm // Reply

This was my reason for getting dish now you don’t have the channel I want if your not going to get those station back what the use of having this data lite

6. gloria H Kirkland // June 29, 2018 at 7:33 pm // Reply

when is ABC going to be available. I should not have to pay for a local channel if I am not getting it.

7. Im not going to pay for Channels I can’t see if ya are not going to bring them back I Want my BILL reduced or I’ll close Dish ,& get some one else

8. U. L. McNiel // July 20, 2018 at 6:58 pm // Reply

You know it’s getting close to footall season to start.not along wi the fall new TV season to start and without the CBS channel i will be leaving DISH TV .

9. Jeri Kindred // August 29, 2018 at 7:17 pm // Reply

Seriously thinking of removing dish and going to spectrum I want a refund on my local channels.

10. Am I going to get credit on my bill for not receiving my local network?

11. David Gonzagowski // September 11, 2018 at 3:01 pm // Reply

The new season is about to start and I am a dish customer….Also not getting 27 news on dish… I feel this is totally unfair for what I am paying…..I would like to see the price reduced to compensate the inconvenience. Please settle this shortly for all affected.

12. Comments do no good. Obviously neither side of this dispute care if we get kake (abc)wichita ks. or something would have been done s long time ago. Find it hard to believe our fees would change much. Sure didn’t change being short one channel.

13. This is the last time that I will get Dish. They do this too often

14. All the new shows are starting & I can’t watch them .This is very upsetting & I’m still being billed !! I was happy with Dish, but, now I’m having second thoughts. Lots of my friends are getting to watch the new shows coming on tonight ,because their cable co. hasn’t dropped them !!!!!

15. We the dish customers deserve to know if this is going to get resolved or if we need to make the decision to leave dish. All of the new programs are starting tonight and many won’t be available to us. I speak for many when I ask you just be upfront and if you are not going to settle tell us. We all are paying our bill but not receiving what we contracted for. The lack of information will hurt you more than being honest.

16. I subtracted $12.00 from my bill for local channels I was not getting after I have been paying for them. I talked with Dish and got no satisfaction of course. Dish said that the broadcaster pulled the channels. All I can say is Dish is all greed, not a happy camper. I am thinking about switching back to Direct TV.
    Jeanne from Dubuque, Iowa

17. if we can’t get local abc channel, then why an’t we get one from another area of the country

18. they cut our channels but not the bill dont think so

19. Gwendolyn Miguel // November 4, 2018 at 2:06 am // Reply

So what happens to people who signed a contract for 24 months and we gave not reached our 24 month. Will we still obligated to stay with Dish and be held hostage cause of the contract!! or can we drop dish and find another company,cause Dish cannot fulfill our contract???

20. Jackie Seeman // November 8, 2018 at 10:01 am // Reply

You are the worst decision this year. I will not pay for channels I am unable to watch. I will tell all family and friends to stay far away from you and will recommend Direct TV. I never had this problem until I switched. Nothing but problem after problem. Channels disappear, loss connection every time the weather isn’t sunny and cloudless, sound cuts out from programs, and so many other problems. I have called and followed all the troubleshooting advice but no change. Can’t wait to get this contract over so I can return to Direct TV. Also I will not pay for service that I haven’t received. You have failed to meet your end of the contract.

21. Reid Saunders // December 1, 2018 at 9:16 am // Reply

will b changing unless FOX returns. This smacks of political bias!

22. rebecca o'connell // December 4, 2018 at 9:58 am // Reply

this has been going on for 2 months now this has happened several times with dish this is the longest the stations have been off which of course when it happens there is always a price increase they are not complying with there contract when you first get dish these stations I no longer have was part of the package we picked so the are in violation of there own contract I’m not waiting much longer