DIRECTV next month will raise prices on most programming packages for existing customers by $2 a month to $8 a month as well as hike the Regional Sports Channel fee in select markets, AT&T has revealed in a notice posted at its web site.
The satcaster has hiked prices on programming packages in January for several years in a row, blaming the rising cost of program acquisition. This year, AT&T again attributes the need to raise prices on increased carriage fees.
“Due to higher costs of programming, the monthly rate for the below services will increase on January 21, 2018, and the changes will appear in billing statements starting on that date,” AT&T, which owns DIRECTV, states.
DIRECTV’s 2017 price increase ranged from $2 a month to $6 a month so the 2018 hike is comparable.
The DIRECTV rate increases coming in January 2018 will include the following plans:
* SELECT — $2 a month increase
* ENTERTAINMENT — $3 a month increase
* CHOICE — $4 a month increase
* TOTAL CHOICE LIMITED — $4.50 a month increase
* TOTAL CHOICE MOBILE/CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC — $5 a month increase
* PREFERRED XTRA — $7 a month increase
* ULTIMATE PREMIER — $8 a month increase
DIRECTV says it will not increase the price of the Family plan.
However, the satellite TV service says it will also raise the a la carte price of The Outdoor Channel by $1.49 a month to $4.99 a month; and regional sports channel fees will go up in some areas by as much as $1 a month. (Some areas will see no change in RSN fees while some markets will see increases from 20 to 70 cents a month. DIRECTV has not revealed which areas will get the RSN price hikes.)
DIRECTV is also raising the price of DIRECTV Espanol plans including:
* BASIC CHOICE — $1 a month
* MAS LATINO/OPTIMO MAS/PREFERRED CHOICE — $2 a month
* FAMILIAR OPCION EXTRA ESPECIAL — $3 a month
* OPCION ULTRA ESPECIAL — $4 a month
* MAS ULTRA/MAS ULTRA ORIGINAL/FAMILIAR ULTRA — $5 a month
* LO MAXIMO OPCION PREMIER — $8 a month
The AT&T notice says if you are on a current DIRECTV promotion, your discount will continue until it ends or expires. Once your promotional period ends, you will be charged at our new programming package prices.
DIRECTV and AT&T’s U-verse TV service recently launched new promotional prices for new customers, starting with $35 a month plans.
— Phillip Swann