NASA this month will produce the first ever live 4K broadcast from space — and you can watch it when it happens.
The space agency yesterday announced that at 1:30 p.m. ET on April 26, it will broadcast Expedition 51 commander Peggy Whitson from the International Space Station as she talks to Earth with Sam Blackman, chief executive officer and co-founder of AWS (Amazon Web Services) Elemental.
The event will be transmitted in 4K from the 2017 National Association of Broadcasters Show in Las Vegas. Earthlings with 4K TVs or 4K-enabled monitors/computers will be able to watch it at this web site. (Your 4K TV presumably would have to come with a web browser.)
The conversation with Whitson will be part of a NAB panel called “Reaching for the Stars: Connecting to the Future with NASA and Hollywood.” The panel will discuss advanced imaging and cloud technology as they impact filmmaking.
Additional panelists will include:
* NASA astronaut Tracy Caldwell Dyson
* Rodney Grubbs, NASA Imagery Experts program manager
* Bernadette McDaid, head of development, virtual reality and augmented reality at Bau Entertainment
* Khawaja Shams, vice president of engineering for AWS Elemental
* Dave McQueeney, senior principal investigator for the IBM Watson Group
— Phillip Swann